The death of Hibernate?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri May 18 09:41:55 UTC 2012

Am 18.05.2012 10:36, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> You've repeated this several times,
> so I thought I'd test it on my laptop,
> a Thinkpad T60 running Fedora-16/KDE.
>
> I did each test twice.
> Hibernate (ie suspend to disk) and shutdown
> both took the same time, 18-20 seconds.
> Waking from hibernation took 40-41 seconds.
> Cold boot + login took 72-73 seconds

cold boot: 25 seconds
login: 10 seconds

> not counting the time to enter login and wallet paswords

5 seconds for me
bother different passwords with 19 chars

so i am around 40 seconds too

additionally i have to log out and switch
to a console if i have used my home-machine
between to sync back changes consistently

many programs do not like sync back their profiles
when they are running

> The laptop was unusable for a further 30 seconds,
> due I presume to disk activity, mainly virtuoso-t and
> firefox.

well, i have the same unuseable expierience waking up
machines from suspend on a changed location because
dns-caches are holding LAN addresses from the company
and freezed connections since the IP's are no longer
available