audio notification from system

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat May 19 08:50:29 UTC 2012

On 05/18/2012 07:00 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/19/2012 09:37 AM, JD wrote:
>> I looked at Settings->Appearance->Settings->Event Sounds
>> It is not checked.
>> I continue to get this rattle sound being played many times
>> while system is up and running.
>> I checked thunderbird, and it has all it's even notifiers unchecked.
>> Is there anything else to look at? I would really like to put a stop
>> to this (without having to mute the audio output).
> I forgot....what DE are you using?  xfce?
>
> Do you have this file on your system?  And can you play it to see if this is the
> sound you are hearing?
>
> /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/trash-empty.oga

No, I played the sound file you mention.
The rattle I hear is like RRRRRRR
It is kind of faint, and fades quickly to silence - has that
rattle I am trying to express with the sound of the letter
R as the Scots roll their R's.
In school, we uses to use our small rulers by placing
the ruler flat on the desk, with most of it sticking out,
so that only a small part of it was on the desk, and
we would press hard with one hand on the short end,
while we would snap the free end.

While typing this message, I laptop made that sound 3 times.

frikin' thing is annoying!