The death of Hibernate?

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sat May 19 11:47:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 10:34:31AM +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> Seems to me Apple has been doing this masterfully for years now. How
> much better is a $2000 Macbook Pro as opposed to a HP laptop with the
> same processor?

Actually, there's a bit of misconception here.  Yes, you can find machines
with marginal configurations that may have the same processor as a Macbook
Pro that appear to be very much cheaper.

But they have less or slower memory, less capable/slower support chipsets,
slower/smaller hard drives, less capable video cards, "home" versions
of Windows (if you go that route), etc.  By the time you configure an
Intel-based machine to meet the same performance specs as an equivalent
Apple machine, the difference shrinks to a couple of hundred dollars
or less.  THAT is the legitimate "Apple Tax", not the hundreds or
thousands people claim.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat