ssh between F16 Xfce and Cygwin

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun May 20 04:29:25 UTC 2012

On 05/20/2012 11:08 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Prior to 26apr12, I was able to run ssh/scp between my 2 F16 Xfce boxes, a F14
> Gnome box, and Cygwin running on an XP box.
>
> Today I was converting the F14 to F16 Xfce and noticed that I could no longer ssh
> into the Cygwin XP box. I checked the other two F16 boxes and they couldn't either.
> Those two machines have not been yum updated since I was last able to ssh/scp.
>
> I ran another check and discovered that, from Cygwin, I could ssh into all three of
> the Linux boxes (now all F16).
>
> Pings between all machines work (static IPs). The error I am getting is port 22:
> Connection refused.
>
> The iptables on the converted machine is the factory default.
>
> The only thing that I know happened was there were a whole bunch of Windows updates
> that affected XP after Win7 sp1 was released. However, I checked all the hosts/IP
> settings and nothing has changed.
>
> I looked in /var/log/messages and didn't see anything ... am willing to bet I've
> forgotten where to look.
>
> Since the problem "appears" to be on the F16 side, I wanted to ask this list if
> anyone has any suggestions.

To sum things up....

Cygwin ----> via ssh to 3 X F16 systems All OK.

3 X F16 systems ----> Cygwin via ssh All Fail.

Yes?

On an F16 system....

telnet cygwin 22       results in "Connection refused"

Yes?

If that is correct, then the problem lies on your cygwin box.  Remember, firewall
settings (especially defaults) are normally used to restrict inbound connections, not
outbound.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage