[SOLVED?]: Re: ssh between F16 Xfce and Cygwin

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun May 20 21:47:11 UTC 2012

On 5/20/2012 11:39 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 5/20/2012 8:00 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> It also should be a very simple matter to prove to yourself that the
>> cygwin system is
>> at fault.
>>
>> Just go to your cygwin system, open a window on that system, and ssh
>> to itself.  This
>> eliminates the network and since you are going from a system to
>> itself...eliminates
>> anything other than itself.
>

> Ed:
>
> That never occurred to me and I will certainly try .. you are right
> that it could eliminate a whole lot of noise.
>
> Many thanks for the suggestion,
> Paul

I powered up the XP box, ran the test with telnet and ssh to self and
got failure. Figured it was time to dig through Cygwin. Powered down to
go do some errands.

Powered back up and, after checking for existing issues, getting the
email ready, and the cygcheck done, I tried Ed's test one last time. It
worked this time (?huh?). Powered up an F16 box and tried both direction
ssh. It worked.

I did at least one power cycle yesterday on the XP and, as stated above,
got the failure on XP box today.

So, this is solved by reason of POM (phase-of-moon). I apologize for the
noise even though, given at least one power cycle on a F16 and XP
machines, it was still giving me the error. I can only mumble "Windows
..." under my breath and continue working on F16

Thanks,
Paul