Dialup users and keeping a system updated

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 21 06:49:23 UTC 2012

On 05/21/2012 09:57 AM, Chuck Peters wrote:

> I have a friend using Fedora 15 and I have asked her keep the system updated, but
> she has fallen behind and now has 300+MB to download (not counting presto if it
> helps).  I have searched for a method which would allow me to download them on a
> faster net connection, but I haven't found something simple similar to what we used
> with Debian/Ubuntu.  apt-zip creates a script and once I run the script with the
> faster net connection it wget's all the files, or I can get a list of URI's with
> apt-get dselect-update --print-uris.
>
> I would like to get the system updated before we need to upgrade the machine to
> Fedora 17, ie. yum update --print-uris would help.  Any suggestions?

You can try this.....

On both systems install yum-plugin-downloadonly.

Then on the dialup system run....

yum update

When asked if this is OK, say No.  Should then get a line that reads something
similar to...

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx

Take the yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx to the system with the fast
connection and run...

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-41.O26_49.yumtx --downloadonly

The files are saved in /var/cache/yum/i386/16/updates/packages  (more or less)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage