way to flush /var/log/message

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon May 21 19:03:45 UTC 2012

On 5/21/2012 5:48 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 11:35 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> I am having problems with is expecting to see new additions from
>> iptables logging rejections and not getting them until much later, if
>> at all? I just wanted to find out if there was a need/way to make sure
>> that nothing is "waiting" to be written as Idon't know if there is any
>> buffering of output (something like fflush() in c++).
> You can configure iptables to log to somewhere else.  Another file, or
> directly to a console.

Tim:

When I first looked into the man pages et al for iptables, I found the
LOG but no way to specify a file. The best I could sort out was using a
prefix so I would at least have a token to search for in /var/log/messages.

I just did a quick google to see if I missed something. The only thing I
see is a level and a link to syslog.conf, which I did not get on first
reading (and it didn't feel like where I should be looking to begin with).

Can you point me to a link?

Thanks,
Paul