Upgrade F15->F16 Dell Inspiron 600m from DVD: no dialog box - Fresh Installation or Upgrade

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue May 22 16:21:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, 12 May 2012, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Max Pyziur writes:
>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> Hoping to at least be on the trailing edge, I've started an upgrade process
>> on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m.
>>
>> It is currently running F15, and I'd like to upgrade to F16.
>>
>> However, after going through the usual preliminaries (select time,
>> keyboard, language), then Basic Storage devices,
>> hostname, root password, I'm given a choice to:
>> Use All Space
>> Replace Existing Linux
>> Shrink Current System
>> Use Free Space
>> Create Custom Layout
>
> As I dimly recall the installer's UI, the next step after the basic storage
> device drivers get loaded is the prompt to upgrade the existing system, if
> one is found, or a new install.
>
> If you're getting to the point where it's asking you for hostname and the
> root password, you've taken the wrong fork in the road. Those won't be
> prompted for, when taking the upgrade path.
>
> The prompt to upgrade or install can be confusing. Rerun the installer, and
> take it slowly, taking note of every option on the screen that you see, and
> don't take the obvious one, without considering everything else that's on
> there.

I think the problem is that there isn't enough space in the /boot partion.

I tried doing both a DVD upgrade and running preupgrade.

preupgrade returned the message that there was not enough space to copy
initrd.img to /boot

Since this is an older Dell laptop (2005? vintage) I allocated about
100MBs when partitioning for /boot.

In trying to complete this upgrade I've removed all kernels except for the
most recent one in order to free up space. That still doesn't give me
enough.

There are other "tricks" described on Fedora Project's Wiki for
freeing/finding space in order to do the upgrade.

My question is it better to just repartion a few partions (adding a little
more to /usr; removing a little from /usr)? Or just to go out and buy
another cheap Dell rebuilt laptop.

This current one is a bit of a workhorse (even though it's CPU/HD/Video
profile is approaching looking as though it is from the dark ages).

fyi,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com