desktop problem

Andre Goree andre at drenet.info
Wed May 23 15:42:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, 21 May 2012 16:21:32 -0400, Greg Woods <woods at ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 14:07 -0400, Brian Wood wrote:
>>  Yesterday the desktop
>> was fine, but today the bar across the top of the screen is no
>> longer legible.  I can't read the time in the center top or the
>> stuff on the right or left.  When I put the focus on some of the
>> icons in that bar, the drop down menus aren't legible either.
>
> Saw the same problem with Gnome Shell on my wife's desktop. It had been
> working fine for a couple of weeks, then started in with this. In our
> case, rebooting would fix it, but it would often occur after hibernate
> or suspend, and once started, a log out or reboot was required to fix
> it. Eventually we just switched her to Xfce to get around the problem,
> since hibernate/suspend was deemed more important than having the latest
> and greatest desktop environment [sic],  but I will be interested to
> hear if there are any real solutions.
>
> --Greg

I currently have this same issue on a laptop I use for work running
F16/KDE4, so perhaps this has something to do with graphics drivers (shot
in the dark).  Do you happen to be running Intel graphics?

Sometimes suspend/resume works without issues, other it just completely
takes a dump and I can only reboot to resolve the issue -- I can't even
ctrl+alt+F2-12 to get to another console so that I could troubleshoot via
CLI -__-.  One thing about this is that at work I connect to a docking
station with which I have 2 1080p monitors connected.  I'll suspend when I
leave work, then resume when I come home -- obviously without the 2 large
monitors -- and SOMETIMES (perhaps once every other day) end up with the
situation you both described.

Very annoying, to say the least.