The death of Hibernate?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat May 26 08:20:11 UTC 2012

Am 26.05.2012 07:45, schrieb Joel Rees:
>>> Do you understand the reason you still set up swap, even though your
>>> entire workload working set fits into RAM?
>>
>> there is no single reason if you have enough RAM
>
> In an ideal world, RAM would not consume energy.
>
> This is a real world, what energy I have on the train is a small
> Lithium ion battery.

why in the world do you wake up this thread after weeks again?
hibernate does not inerest me but i can not see people argumentating t
echnically wrong

it does not change anything if yopu are swap out all your
applications because you will ALWYAS have 100% RAM used
on any unix-like system

and even if - machines with 1 GB RAM are loughable
these days since i remember that a yum-upgrade was
killed with a OOM om a virtual machine witout GUI

braindead developers cosuming ressources for nothing
this is not new remember in 2003 where i had  aa machine
with 192 MB RAM running Win2000, Photoshop, CorelDrwaw
and VMware with a linux-guest and these days a f**ing
updater needs much more

the argumentation of the crazy guy above was that RAm is
better used for caching as for unused running applications
which is completly wrong

where in the world is the benefit having applications swapped
out for chaching the blocks of a 2 GB vieo file moved around
and not touching for weeks