Using f17 beta and status

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 27 02:05:12 UTC 2012

Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I were to install an F17 beta at this point, instead of waiting for
> the release next week, would it be possible to upgrade that beta to
> the production version once it is actually released?

I started with fc17alpha and have upgraded to whatever was current this morning.
You can play with preupgrade if you are a stickler for perfection, but running
"yum upgrade" has worked well for me. I think going with a beta of some kind,
RC4 has been mentioned, would work as well.

Any upgrade tends to leave some cruft behind, if you want perfect you would have
to do a full new install, which generally has no functional difference, just a
"debris field" of stuff not quite cleaned up. I see no reason not to go if you
can wait, or want to test drive over the holiday.

If you want a test drive, install in a VM.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>