[UPDATED:] Re: confusion on /sbin/ifconfig on F16

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 16:42:31 UTC 2012

On Sun, 27 May 2012 23:39:06 +0800
Ed Greshko wrote:

> If,
> for example, you (or someone who works for you) change a network card whose cable was
> labeled eth0 you will need to remember to edit the 70-persistent-net.rules.

That always seemed dumb to me. It can tell (or make a good guess)
if the interface is hot pluggable, or something you had to take
the machine apart to change. In the case of old entries that weren't
on hot pluggable interfaces, it should remove those before assigning
names to new ones, then swapping out a NIC would still assign
eth0 to the new NIC, but plugging in a new USB Wi-Fi dongle would
continue to assign wlan0 then wlan1, etc.

It should do the same thing for persistent disks. If I replace an
internal DVDROM, it should be smart enough to call the replacement
sr0 instead of sr1.