partition question

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Sun May 27 23:11:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 08:45:45PM +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> so as I understand it, my two viable options are a non-destructive
> resize or a clean install & use Anaconda to create a blank partition for
> use as the second OS (well, I do have a third: I have a brand new 60GB
> USB HD that could be used but I don't really want to go down that road).

Well, another option is to use the same volume group for both installations? As long as
you're not playing with clusterable volumes that should be safe enough. In other words,
keep your partition layout and pv as configured, make sure you have 10-20GB free space in
volume group and simply install CentOS to it. Do a custom layout when you install CentOS and
specify the volume group you already have, and simply add a volume for / and swap. Grub will
handle both OS'es just fine. You may consider your /boot size since you'll have two system's
kernels etc. there - but if you're using the standard 512MB setup for /boot, you will most
likely be more than fine.

> The disk is 80GB & I have a 3.91GB swap, a 23.38GB home & root is 46.75.
> Total disk space that is actually used is minimal, less than 10 GBs.

USB disks are pretty slow. I would do my best to avoid using that as your / and swap drive.

> Possibly the easiest route would be to do a clean install but I'd really
> like to try to see if I can successfully resize it as I've never tried
> it before.

That should not be necessary. You can do pvresize too if you wish but why bother? You'll just
end up with both systems seeing the other systems VG anyway, so you still need to keep things
separate. By putting it all on the same VG you can always and easy resize one system and give the
space to the other without worrying about partititions etc.