what name does com1 rs232 get in F16+ ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 29 11:59:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 04:31 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Or perhaps the dialer program was pre-setup with the right permissions
> or handled things pretty much seamlessly for the end user?.

Back when I did dial-up on Fedora Core 4, I didn't have to mess around
with devices, nor their permissions.  I set the serial port to use in
the GUI configurator for the dial-up settings, and that was it.

There probably was some option for me to set in the network
configuration whether any user could bring the interface up and down,
rather than requiring root to do it.  I don't really know, but it sounds
familiar, and makes sense.

At one time, I did play around with linking /dev/modem to a /dev/tty,
but it proved a pointless waste of time.  It offered no real advantage,
other than not having to remember which tty the modem was connected to.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.