remote access via VNC

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue May 29 18:18:36 UTC 2012

On 05/29/2012 10:26 AM, Tommy Pham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have remote access via VNC without having the user
> to be logged in (automatically, especially on a system reboot)?

You could share the display in the X configs, e.g.:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-vnc.conf
# This file is to share the root screen via VNC
Section "Module"
     Load "vnc"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "Screen0"
     Device "Videocard0"
     Option "SecurityTypes" "VncAuth"
     Option "UserPasswdVerifier" "VncAuth"
     Option "passwordfile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

You may have to refresh the display after connecting when the user
login screen is shown. I have to on occasion...something with the
way the login mechanism (gdmgreeter?) updates the screen.