Solution to RAID /boot issue in fc17?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 31 03:14:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 18:25 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> The dirty little secret, that nobody wants to talk about, is
> that an upgrade codepath is rarely used in RHEL. Nearly all RHEL
> installs, in the field, are fresh installs.
>
> The SOP for enterprise-y Linux seats is to clone pre-built images.
> Servers typically have small hard drives, with just the OS image, and
> mount all the storage off the network/SAN.

I'm not surprised, I do something similar.

Either pull out the HDD, make a new install, replace the HDD and pull
the old data from it onto the new HDD, and put the old HDD on the shelf
as the backup.

Or, a new install goes onto a new computer.  By the time I get around to
doing an install, the newer OS is too bloated for the old hardware,
being too slow or simply impossible to run, and an upgrade becomes a
downgrade.  This has been my experience with Linux and Windows.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.