remote access via VNC

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 31 09:25:11 UTC 2012

Am 31.05.2012 11:19, schrieb Khemara Lyn:
> Hello,
>
> Have you tried with "vino"? I prefer it than a separate VNC server with a separate display.
>
> With Vino, I can log in locally to my desktop at office; i would lock the screen when i leave my office and when i
> arrive home i would connect to the same desktop/display i left off at office with a normal VNC client (RealVNC for
> windows).

you recognized that it was solved yesterday? :-)

"vino", "vncserver" and others can not provide "Whether the user is
logged or not, anyone with the right access can RDP in. IIRC, the old
original VNC server used to do that on Windows."

this can only be done with xvnc sahring display 0

example to show the big difference

* i connect via ssh to our admin-server in the LAN
* type "wol workstation (/etc/ethers is your friend)
* my workstation is powered on and boots to kdm login
* "vnc.sh workstation" creates a ssh-tunnel and connects to display 0

this way i can power off my machine completly and control it
from remote like with physical access