Need more info: UEFI Secure Boot in Fedora

Edward M edwardm1 at live.com
Thu May 31 10:02:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

I fully dont understand the approach that may be taken as workaround to
USFI Secure Boot for Fedora:

The last option wasn't hugely attractive, but is probably the least
worst. Microsoft will be offering signing services through their sysdev
portal <http://sysdev.microsoft.com>.
     It's not entirely free (there's a one-off $99 fee to gain access),
but it's cheaper than any realistic alternative would have been. It
ensures compatibility
      with as wide a range of hardware as possible and it avoids Fedora
having any special privileges over other Linux distributions.
      If there are better options then we haven't found them. So, in all
probability, this is the approach we'll take. Our first stage bootloader
will be signed with a Microsoft key.

will I need to pay $99 to use linux,etc.  what about other distros?
I know will be speculating at this point but wondering what could be the
reprecussions if this method is taken?

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html