Issue with bash completion

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu May 31 10:29:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

After the upgrade from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17, completion for any of my
wrapper functions (for standard tools) are not working. To give an
example, I have a wrapper around find called find_ext. I want it to
complete just like GNU find so I define the following completion:

  complete -F _find find_ext

However this does not work. Completion is working for find itself, just
not my wrapper function. I see that the completion function `_find` is
not even defined in my shell (there is no output for `declare -f
_find`).

This is even more surprising since I see that _find is defined in
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/find. However I could not find
anything in /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion that actually
sources the files in /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/ (although
it does for /etc/bash_completion.d/).

Has something changed drastically? How do I make my wrappers complete
using standard completion functions?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

PS: When I use a custom completion function (with none of the standard
    ones inside) it works as expected.

--
Suvayu