Need more info: UEFI Secure Boot in Fedora

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu May 31 12:38:53 UTC 2012

> Grub(2). This is signed by the fedora keys. It checks the signature of
> the kernel against the fedora keys.

> Kernel

No - this is insufficient. The kernel must also be locked down, check
every module, disallow iopl3() [ie some X features], disallow ioperm for
most ports, prevent any user even root from loading their own kernel
modules etc.

It's of course all a bit of a joke because it's then a simple matter of
using virtualisation to fake the "secure" environment and running the
"secure" OS in that 8)

> No. I would assume the Fedora project pays the $99, and then distrubtes
> the signed bootloader component, with the fedora keys built in.

I don't believe that would be compliant with the Fedora Project
definitions of freedom.

Alan