Fedora 18, future isn't too good as it seems :-<

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Nov 1 09:41:09 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 03:56 PM, jarmo wrote:
> Thu, 1 Nov 2012 14:55:28 +1100
> Junayeed Ahnaf <nirjhor at outlook.com> kirjoitti:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'm seeing that Fedora 18 has been delayed 5 times already, and this
>> post from Michael isn't looking too good either:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxODk
>>

>> Distro like Ubuntu and Suse almost never fails there shipping date,
>> what do you think about Fedora's consecutive delays? Doesn't it hurt
>> it's adoption rate to end users?
>>

>> And a little off topic, how do you think KDE 5.0 will be?
>>

>> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
>> Software Engineer @ Hulu
>> Twitter @ Nirjhor
>>
> Why bother 18? There's stupid naming going on for 19.
> Where hell you guys are rushing?
> Belive me, there's end of a rope.
>
> Jarmo
Seems to me that releases herald yet another way of designing and
managing a new Linux system with emerging technologies.
It does not matter if releases are delayed, nor does it matter how many
times delays occur. These devs and testers do a superlative job.
Frankly, because most of us, as I understand it, use old technology
boxes (3-5 years and beyond),  I'd be delighted if they stretched
releases out to 9 or12 months.
Neither does naming matter, call it what they will. From Red Hat days
through Fedora versions for me it's been  RH nn or Fedora 1..19.  Never
Slimy Sausage, HotDogwithMustard, Fat Cow, Verne, whatever. Although I
did like the concept of naming after famous scientists, that gave it  a
special aire.
Roger