Fedora 18, future isn't too good as it seems :-<

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 20:42:42 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 16:31,  <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think the problem is the obsession with regular upgrades to
> new versions on a rigid schedule whether an upgrade is warranted or not, not
> the fact that they're failing in that obsession.  If I have Fedora 17
> installed and things haven't changed so much, then just upgrade the existing
> version.  I'd be just as happy if Fedora 18 didn't come out unless the move
> from 17 to 18 meant some huge functional change -- and then I'd be plenty
> happy if the good folk doing it waited until all the bugs were ironed out.
> This isn't a commercial system where faux version upgrades are necessary to
> keep up the revenue stream.

Actually regular upgrades are part of Fedora's raison d'ĂȘtre. There's
always a new package or new API that someone wants, or a fix for some
issue. If you want an RPM system that doesn't do regular updates then
go and try RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux. I'm not saying 'go away we
don't want you here' I'm saying if that's what someone needs then
those are teh projects that address that.

If what you mean though is the 'rigid schedule' bit, then yes that
seems to be part of the problem. And the move to F18 does mean a big
functional change in the installer, which is what the issue is. It
seems that the work on the installer was inevitably going to take more
time than available in the release cycle, which means the release
needs to slip. No big deal as others have said, but there's no scope
to slip the release by enough time to get it done, so it's been
happening by increments instead, hence the "FEDORA RELEASE DELAYED FOR
FIFTH TIME!!!" headline. That's not an ideal way of working and it
looks like they are now trying to sort this out. I'm probably
massively oversimplifying here.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk