Converting Fedora Docs from Docbook HTML or PDF

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 3 12:38:33 UTC 2012

Two replies to my query are not much help.  See below:

On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 21:20 -0400, staticsafe wrote:
> On 11/2/2012 20:06, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Everything in Fedora's documentation tree under /usr/share/doc/HTML is
> > actually in Docbook format.  What script or program can be used to
> > convert this documentation info HTML or PDF?
>
> See - http://wiki.docbook.org/DocBookTools (Under "Convenience tools")
> susedoc is probably the one you want -
> http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:OpenSUSE-LfL/susedoc

After some searching I found susedoc.  However the RPM requires a number
of prerequisites and is compatible with the SUSE RPM collection rather
than with the Fedora collection, so it can't be installed directly.  The
source is password protected at Berlios.

On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 16:16 +1030, Tim wrote:
Surely, the answer to that is:  docbook

> Docbook is meant for writing in one format, and publishing in many,
> including the two that you mention.

This much I know already.  The HTML documentation directories are fairly
large, so it's not clear exactly which docbook utility should be applied
to which file.  For example:

        $ ls -FC /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kpilot
        common@                    setup-conduit.png
        conduit-memofile.png       setup-dbspecial.png
        conduit-todo.png           setup-general.png
        conduit-vcal.png           setup-hotsync.png
        configuration.docbook      setup-items.png
        daemon-menu-configure.png  setup-startup-exit.png
        daemon-menu.png            setup-tabs.png
        faq.docbook                sidebar.png
        file-app.png               sync.docbook
        index.cache.bz2            todo-app.png
        index.docbook              toolbar_backup.png
        kpilot.png                 toolbar_hotsync.png
        main-app.png               usage.docbook
        setup-address.png

A couple of crude tries, like applying docbook2pdf to the whole
directory or to promising looking files like index.docbook produced only
error messages.  So (lazy me) rather than spend a day or so learning
about docbook, I appealed to the list.

Thanks to all - jon