"Please verify your user details" when trying to access a Windows 7 share

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 4 16:27:14 UTC 2012

Running Windows 7 in a virtual machine, I shared a folder, publically. I
told Windows to share it with "Everyone".

Back in Fedora, I choose "Connect to server" option in the "Computer" window
from the Gnome desktop, change the type to "Windows share", and enter the
Win 7 VM's IP address.

Hitting "Continue" always comes back with a "Please verify your user
details" warning/message, with my Linux account's name in "User name", and
"MYGROUP" for the domain name.

I tried fiddling with some of this stuff, changing the domain to
"WORKGROUP" (what Win 7 shows its domain to be), specifying my account
name's for the user name (even though I shared the folder with "Everyone"),
explicitly putting "Users" as the share's name (the share's name, as shown
in Win7), etc…, without much luck.

Looking for ideas where to look, and how to troubleshoot this.