New 64-bit Fedora Will Not Mount Similar 32-bit Filesystem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 4 18:10:43 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 04 November 2012, Alan Feuerbacher sent:
> Here I'm trying to mount the old system:
> ###########
> [root at alan-fedora alan]# mount /dev/sdc /mnt/fedora32
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail or so
>
> [root at alan-fedora alan]# mount -t auto /dev/sdc /mnt/fedora32

Firstly, it was already doing "auto," as far as I'm aware, so that's
pretty much redundant.  What's really missing is *which* partition to
try and mount on sdc.

>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdc1   *        2048      206847      102400   83  Linux
> /dev/sdc2         1026048  2930276351  1464625152   8e  Linux LVM

The small sdc1 is, most likely, a boot partition, which you can ignore.
You want to be trying to mount sdc2.

However, that's LVM, not a plain partition, and I'm fairly certain that
you want to use the LVM tools to mount it.  And, I'm very certain that
you're going to have problems if it uses the same volume names as your
new drive that you're running from.  The simplest solution will probably
be to rename your old volumes before you attempt to mount them.

So, look into managing LVM volumes, then get back to the list when you
get stuck again.  (It's ages since I've tried anything with LVM, it's
probably changed since then, and I've probably forgotten what I did.)

Future hint:  Next time you create LVM volumes and partitions, put
something unique into their names.  A date, a name, or a number...

But if you never intend to try and span across several discs, which
brings about its own set of hazards (one failure on any disc, and all of
them becomes wrecked), I'd advise to completely avoid LVM on your next
installation.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.3-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 22 15:32:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.