emails, selinux and Fedora 17

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Mon Nov 5 09:35:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

it seems that selinux gets in the way of my self-compiled emacs when
gnus is trying to get mails from /var/spool/mail/lee.  Movemail isn't
permitted to get the mail from there.  I have tried to adjust the file
permissions on movemail, and it's like this now:

-bash-4.2$ ls -laZ /usr/local/libexec/emacs/24.2.50/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/movemail
-rwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:bin_t:s0       /usr/local/libexec/emacs/24.2.50/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/movemail
-bash-4.2$ ls -laZ /usr/libexec/emacs/24.1/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/movemail
-rwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:bin_t:s0       /usr/libexec/emacs/24.1/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/movemail

The version of emacs that is in Fedora works, though I'd rather use my
self-compiled version because there have been bug fixes to gnus which
might not be in emacs 24.1.

What am I missing?

I'm used to have exim delivering mail into ~/Maildir in maildir format,
and since that doesn't work with selinux anymore, I have adjusted my
exim configuration to deliver to /var/spool/mail/<user> instead.  In the
exim configuration section that specifies the routers, I had to set
"group = mail" for those routers that end up making local deliveries to
work around permission problems.  Is that the way it's supposed to be?

So far, that works fine, and I'm not sure if I want to go back to
delivering into users home directories.  Now I'm wondering if all the
services are set up correctly since I'm also using clamd to scan for
viruses:

Will freshclam be run automatically, or do I need to set up a cron job
for it?

Is there some documentation about selinux in Fedora that would give me
better understanding?  I've switched from Debian to Fedora yesterday and
didn't use selinux with Debian.  Now with Fedora, selinux is somewhat
getting in the way, but I don't want to just turn it off.