new NetworkManager dependencies?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Nov 5 18:47:28 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 10:15 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Also if there are any real dependencies on NM, they are gonna
> fail anyway, because NM isn't running anything on my system
> and anyone expecting it to be able to do things to the
> network is already broken.

I don't think you understand how the dynamic linker works, or why rpm
tracks dependencies.  If you turn off the NetworkManager service,
applications will not be able to monitor or change the network state.
If you remove the shared object files that NetworkManager provides, then
anything which was compiled to use those shared objects will no longer
start.  In the case of control-center, that probably means that the
"network" panel will either not load, or will cause control-center to
crash when its load is attempted.  I'm mostly sure gnome-shell won't
start if you remove those files, nor Empathy.