Fedora 18, future isn't too good as it seems :-<

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Nov 5 20:54:29 UTC 2012

Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 13:45:21 +0100
> Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
>
>> Ian Malone wrote:
>>
>>> And the move to F18 does mean a big
>>> functional change in the installer, which is what the issue is.
>>
>> Is there something wrong with the current Anaconda?
>>
> In  relation to Fedora 17, no.
> But dracut has introduced big changes for F18,
> and Anaconda has to be re-written to suit this change(s)

Then why wasn't the new dracut pushed to fc19?

This feels like politics, someone wants to have new dracut before other
distributions do, or what? Does it have a thread that can pee holy water? Will
my servers run 20% more load? What justifies forcing this in when other things
users can actually use are delayed as not ready?

My idea of leading edge is a release with the current *working* version at the
time of release. To delay the release for one package which frankly is unlikely
to matter to most users is to invite a very visible number of packages now being
one revision behind. Are there resources to unfreeze all the other packages and
bring them up to date?

As the old commercial used to ask, "Where's the beef?"

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>