Powerline HomePlug under Fedora, anyone?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Nov 6 15:15:00 UTC 2012

Frank Murphy wrote:

>> Is anyone using Powerline HomePlugs under Linux?
>> If so, what is the secret?
>>

> Have 4 of them here.
>
> 3 into Fedora 16 boxes
> 1 into 5 port 10\100 switch,
> which is connected to router.
>
> I pressed all buttons underneath the TP-plugs

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately the only button on my TP-PA211 HomePlugs has "Pair" by it,
and pressing it seems to have no effect.

I should have said that the plugs work under Windows XP
without installing any software,
nor does Windows say it is looking for any software.

This suggests to me that the plugs must work
with the standard Windows ethernet driver,
so I am slightly surprised they don't work with Linux.