Fedora 18, future isn't too good as it seems :-<

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Nov 6 17:26:59 UTC 2012

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 14:55:28 +1100
> Junayeed Ahnaf <nirjhor at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'm seeing that Fedora 18 has been delayed 5 times already, and this post from Michael isn't looking too good either: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxODk
>>

>> Distro like Ubuntu and Suse almost never fails there shipping date, what do you think about Fedora's consecutive delays? Doesn't it hurt it's adoption rate to end users?
>
> Fedora isn't aimed at "end users".

I am always cautious about disagreeing with you, but neither the official
mission statement in the docs, nor the actual practice of deployment omit end
users, those who install the software to use it, rather than to develop, modify,
or resell it. Home users, business, users, and even those of us who run servers
are end users. I consider myself pretty much an end user these days, although I
build the odd kernel from time to time, and I used to test and occasionally
offer patches to your ac kernels, the aa series, and Ingo's early work with CFS.
End users are people who want to use it as they would Windows, only it works better.

> Also what do you think does more damage shipping broken
> code or shipping late ?

No. The correct path (I believe) is to stay with the fully tested code from a
previous version, because buggy code is always evil and any significant delay
means the versions of other packages are, or soon will be, no longer leading edge.

A Fedora release is a snapshot in time of newest *functional* software, and bugs
or delay reduces the usefulness or timeliness of the release as a whole. And the
installer is the one piece which "must work" for many users, I frankly doubt
that more than a few percent of users care about a new drupal, or even know what
it does.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>