rights messed up after moving installation

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Nov 6 18:26:22 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

> Am 05.11.2012 23:19, schrieb lee:
>> The context is that I moved the root file system and /var from one disk
>> to another with insufficient options to rsync.
>
> BTW:
> usually rsync deals really fine with doing a second run with other
> options like "--times --perms --owner --group..." if you did not
> the first time

Yeah I had in mind that rsync would do what I wanted, and I used it on
Debian like that before and it did.  I should have looked at the manpage
in Fedora more thoroughly.

Actually, I was expecting that I do might have to re-install after
trying things out for a few days, and now it looks as if I won't need to
do that :)  Now that mostly everything is working fine, I have begun to
read more of the available documentation for Fedora and need to read
more over the next few days.  Though I'm using all the same software I'm
used to from Debian, many important things seem to be much different.

> rsync never will transmit unchanged data again because it wroks
> like diff -

Are you sure?

> i am using the following script for any copy/backup
> even if it is single file because the params are what i really
> mean: "copy files and folders with any attributes and if it is
> a directory i like the target 1:1 compared with the source"
>
> RSYNC_PARAMS is one line!

Thank you!  I'll add it to my collection and check it out before I make
backups and maybe just use it :)