rights messed up after moving installation

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Nov 6 16:22:59 UTC 2012

Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> writes:

> On 11/05/2012 06:07 PM, lee wrote:
>>> What if I run "yum reinstall *"?  Re-installing all packages should fix
>>> the rights, shouldn't it?
>>
>> A "touch /.autorelabel ; reboot" fixed this :))
>>

>> Now I'm used to login on the console and to run "startx & logout", and when
>> I do that, I don't have sound in the X-session.  When I only do "startx &"
>> without logging out, I do have sound.
>>
>> Is there a way to fix that so that I can still have sound in the X-session
>> while I'm logged out from the console?
>>
> Do you have sound if you do this in permissive mode?
>
> # setenforce 0

There seems to be a problem with pulseaudio in that pulseaudio isn't
running, and when it's not running, I don't have sound in some
applications.  I have disabled bluetoothd because I don't need it, and
pulseaudio seems to have a problem with that:

-bash-4.2$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: Error from ListAdapters reply: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed

So I can start it manually when I need it.  I found it will stop running
after a while automatically.  However, espeak speaks even when
pulseaudio is not running.

Permissive mode doesn't seem to make a change.  When I switch to my
second user with "su - secure" and ask aplay, it says:

bash-4.2$ su - secure
Password:
secure at yun:~$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:256: no soundcards found...
secure at yun:~$ aplay dbz.wav
Playing WAVE 'dbz.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
secure at yun:~$

There is no sound for secure though the user lee is running pulseaudio.
When I stop pulseaudio as lee, secure still doesn't have sound, and
secure can run pulseaudio with the same error message and still doesn't
have sound.

Can't I just get rid of pulseaudio and make sure the modules for sound
devices are loaded in the right order so I can use alsa?  Pulseaudio
only makes it much more complicated, and it doesn't have any advantages
for me.

And how come that aplay sometimes finds soundcards and sometimes not,
depending on which user it runs?