vlc has no GUI

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Nov 8 17:38:35 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 01:20 PM, lee issued this missive:
> Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs986 at att.net> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 15:11:06 +0100
>> lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

>>> "yum install vlc" fixed it, thank you!  I thought I had already done
>>> that ...
>>>
>>> What's the alternative to installing 3rd party software?  Get its
>>> sources and compile and install it ourselves?  I wouldn't mind doing
>>> that if I knew how to make packages so that it's easier to keep track
>>> of it ...
>>>

>> Take a look here:
>> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f17.html
>>
>> As the old saying goes, it works for me. Quite well.
>
> That involves installing gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree:  Isn't that 3rd
> party software?

In a strict sense, ALL of Fedora (indeed any Linux distribution) is 3rd
party software. They are collections of programs and libraries from all
over the place (the kernel started out from Linus, most of the utilities
and such are from the Gnu people, etc., etc.).

What you should be saying is that it's from a non-Fedora repository (or
rather a non-Redhat controlled repository). Rpmfusion is a reliable
repository and many of the contributors to Fedora also have packages
there. While Redhat doesn't control it, it is still a good source, as
was livna (before there were too many incompatible forks of packages
between it and the "official" Fedora repos).