network manager has gone crazy

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Nov 10 16:05:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

apparently network manager continues to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf with
incorrect data.  Adjusting it with system-config-network doesn't help.

I have:

,----
| UUID="4881d1f8-79a5-46f3-a490-2464eebd89aa"
| NM_CONTROLLED=yes
| ONBOOT=yes
| TYPE=Ethernet
| IPV6INIT=no
| NAME="System em1"
| HWADDR=00:24:21:f3:94:ed
| BOOTPROTO=none
| DEFROUTE=yes
| IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
| USERS=root
| USERCTL=no
| IPADDR=192.168.178.20
| NETMASK=255.255.255.0
| GATEWAY=192.168.178.1
| DNS1=127.0.0.1
| PREFIX=24
`----

... and the copies of that file under the different names are all the
same.  After some time, /etc/resolv.conf will be empty, and it sometimes
is missing the "search" entry.

Why is the network manager going crazy and doesn't stick with the
information I'm giving it, and how do I fix this?  Name resolution going
down because /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten causes very
annoying interruptions.

I know I could disable network manager, but that isn't really a
solution.  I need it solved before I go to sleep, though.

--
Fedora 17