Understanding rpmbuild check-rpath error

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 21:53:15 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a git snapshot rpm package of notmuch and I keep
running into a warning.  As I understand from the message, it can be
worked around but I would rather resolve the problem than sweep it under
the rug.  I'm using the spec file from the Fedora srpm with a couple of
changes to include the git commit in the package and tarball name.

Could someone help me understand what the error is and where the problem
might be?

+rpm-tmp.J2jdC6:55:: /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths
/usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot
*
* WARNING: 'check-rpaths' detected a broken RPATH and will cause 'rpmbuild'
*          to fail. To ignore these errors, you can set the '$QA_RPATHS'
*          environment variable which is a bitmask allowing the values
*          below. The current value of QA_RPATHS is 0x0000.
*
*    0x0001 ... standard RPATHs (e.g. /usr/lib); such RPATHs are a minor
*               issue but are introducing redundant searchpaths without
*               providing a benefit. They can also cause errors in multilib
*               environments.

[...]

ERROR   0001: file '/usr/bin/notmuch' contains a standard rpath '/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.J2jdC6 (%install)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.J2jdC6 (%install)

Thanks,

--
Suvayu