DNS problems this morning -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 11 16:51:18 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 11 November 2012, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia,
USA sent:
> 1: It seems to me that it must have to collect and accumulate
> it's own list of addresses which would mean it is normal for it
> to work faster the second time an address is requested of it?

Correct.

> 2: Is there a practical way to share my Linux dns with other
> [Apple Mac, etc.] computers on our LAN?

Yes.  Open the DNS server computer's firewall to allow DNS queries.
Configure the other computers on your LAN to use the DNS server
computer's IP address as their DNS server.  It's as simple as that.

The complications are:  If your other computers are assigned addresses
by DHCP, then you have to put overrides on the individual client
configuration, or configure the DHCP server to say that *YOUR* DNS
server is the LAN's DNS server to all computers that ask it for an
address (I do this with mine).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.6-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 5 21:59:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.