Does the nouveau kernel module support 3D video hardware acceleration?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sun Nov 11 17:19:26 UTC 2012

Ian Chapman <packages at amiga-hardware.com> writes:

> On 10/11/12 22:38, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>

>>> I tried it and got only about 1/7 of the FPS I get with the drivers from
>>> NVIDIA, so it's not really an option (unless you have a really fast card
>>> and want to waste it maybe).
>>
>> Well, it's not really an option if your needs are, primarily, to play
>> shoot-em-ups.
>>

> It's also not an option if the Linux box is used as a high performance
> visualization workstation either. Unfortunately the proprietary driver
> is more useful than just for games.

It *fortunately _is_* more useful than that :)

If we didn't have it, we'd still basically be where we were about 20
years ago.  I still don't rely on GUIs, and I never will.  For some
things, they are useful, for some they are required, and xterm works
fine (just not with Fedoras fvwm atm) ...

--
Fedora 17