DNS problems this morning -

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sun Nov 11 17:44:22 UTC 2012

"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> writes:

>> Yes.  Open the DNS server computer's firewall to allow DNS queries.
>> Configure the other computers on your LAN to use the DNS server
>> computer's IP address as their DNS server.  It's as simple as that.
>
>    Will dns look-ups from the other computers be added to the
>    nameserver list?
>
>    What if my computer is shut down for the night, will the others go
>    on and use the ISP dns?

You can specify several name servers to use, so you would make your
computer which is running named the primary name server and another one
the secondary one.  When the primary name server isn't reachable, the
clients are supposed to use the secondary one instead.

I don't know if and when they would switch back to the primary one,
though.

--
Fedora 17