ifcfg file for Open vSwitch "fake bridge"

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 03:52:23 UTC 2012

I need to statically configure an Open vSwitch "fake bridge", so that I
can attach VMs to a specific VLAN.  There doesn't seem to be any
specific support for this in the ifup scripts, so I'm using the
following:

  DEVICE=ovs0.249
  BOOTPROTO=none
  ONBOOT=no
  TYPE=OVSBridge
  DEVICETYPE=ovs
  OVS_OPTIONS="ovs0 249"

This works, but it relies on a quirk of the ifup-ovs script, which could
potentially change at any time.  Does anyone have a better way?

(I know that later versions of libvirt have explicit support for VLANs
with Open vSwitch; I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it with
the software included in F17.)

Thanks!