network manager has gone crazy

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Nov 13 11:00:34 UTC 2012

Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> writes:

> lee wrote:
>
>>> As I understand it, you have asked NM to manage your ethernet connection
>>> (in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1).
>>> I believe that NM over-writes /etc/resolv.conf if it cannot establish
>>> the specified connection.
>>> In my opinion this is silly; but that is what NM does.
>>
>> What it probably does is managing em2 which doesn't exist anymore
>> because I turned off the network adapter in the BIOS.  Since em1 wasn't
>> used before, it perhaps tries to keep it disabled by overwriting
>> resolv.conf.
>>
>> Isn't there any way to configure networkmanager?
>>
>>> If you don't want NM to manage your connection you should say so
>>> in the above ifcfg file.
>>>
>>> Or at least that is my understanding of the setup.
>>
>> It's better to disable networkmanager when you don't want it to do
>> anything.  Why keep a service running that isn't supposed to do
>> anything?
>
> Well, I would do both -
> if you don't want NM to manage any interface why say you do
> (in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1)?

Why change it when networkmanager is disabled anyway?

> And I don't see any point in running the NM service
> if you don't want to use it.
>
> I'm not convinced you have shown there is any kind of bug in NM.

I don't think I have.  It's more Fedora being silly having two different
and conflicting things installed by default at the same time without
giving users a choice which one to use, without sufficient documentation
about any of them and with dependencies on networkmanager that need to
be fixed.

--
Fedora 17