network manager has gone crazy

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 13 16:03:15 UTC 2012

Tim:
> > If using Gnome, there's a desktop taskbar icon for NetworkManager, it
> > lets you pick a network out of a list of available networks (if there
> > are several to choose from), and there's an edit connections menu item
> > to customise particular choices.  They could be fully automatic (the
> > client is remotely set by a DHCP server), or you can choose to allow
> > some things to be set by a DHCP server, other things to be manually set,
> > or everything manually set.

lee:
> I'm not using gnome.  These so-called desktop-environments aren't doing
> anything for me but getting in the way.

Well, what are you using?  Command line, a light weight GUI, something
else?  Letting us know will help you get better replies.

There does appear to be some NetworkManager interface through the
command line.  Dunno whether it's going to be of any use to you, though.

As may have been pointed out in this thread, but definitely in the past,
NetworkManager is probably not be suitable for servers.  It is geared
towards having something else configure your network, usually a server
is self-configured, or at least the central server is (the one
everything else relies on).

I have to admit I'm intrigued to find out what would happen if you ran a
DHCP server on a machine with NetworkManager handling the network
interfaces.  But not sufficiently to try it out, at 2:30 in the morning.

Regarding trying to find its configuration files, I would have tried
something like:  locate -i networkmanager |grep etc

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.6-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 5 21:59:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.