DNS problems this morning -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Nov 13 16:38:09 UTC 2012

On 13/11/12 09:59, Tim wrote:
> I seem to recall that there is a way to set the timeout delay before
> abandoning the first query, and querying the next server, but I don't
> recall the details, and there's no man file for resolv.conf on this
> installation of F17.  I don't know if there's configuration options
> about always trying the first server, first.

It looks like there is a way. From man resolv.conf:

    options

    Options allows certain internal resolver variables to be modified.
    The syntax is options option ...

    where option is one of the following:

    timeout:n

    sets the amount of time the resolver will wait for a response from a
    remote name server before retrying the query via a different name
    server. Measured in seconds, the default is RES_TIMEOUT (currently
    5, see <resolv.h>). The value for this option is silently capped to 30.

    attempts:n

    sets the number of times the resolver will send a query to its name
    servers before giving up and returning an error to the calling
    application. The default is RES_DFLRETRY (currently 2, see
    <resolv.h>). The value for this option is silently capped to 5.

    It's not clear to me how to type the command though. The 5 second
    timeout seems much to long when combined with 5 tries, perhaps fewer
    tries would be better? However I imagine there were good reasons for
    the defaulsts ...

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7