firewall configuring

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 13 18:13:00 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 13 November 2012, Steven Stern sent:
> Gosh, is it so hard to type "system-config-firewall"?  I'm not sure
> about Gnome, but on XFCE, it's APPS -> Administration -> Firewall.

The point being that new users will not know about it.  There's no
mention of "firewall" in any of the control options in the control
configurator.  There is no-longer a menu.  And if you do switch to the
fallback desktop option that does give you a menu, there's nothing that
mentions a firewall in there, either.

It's, now, most definitely a GUI system.  Users are expected not to have
to resort to the command line.  Why the hell isn't such a basic thing in
the system preferences?

Not to mention that the error messages in the printer configurator
aren't of any help, either:  Firewalld isn't running (what the hell is
that?).  It says mdns needs to be allowed in the firewall.   Really?
Why would I want that allowed if I'm not using avahi?  It's wrong advice
to blandly say I must allow that.  And it says Samba must be allowed.
Again, unless I'm actually using Samba, and the printing aspects of it,
it's wrong to advise that the firewall must allow that through.

Geez, but it's badly handled.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.6-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 5 21:59:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.