DNS problems this morning -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Nov 13 19:04:24 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 10:31 AM, Tim issued this missive:
> Tim:
>>> My reading of the man file suggested that one would add the options into
>>> the resolv.conf file.  Else why else are they mentioned in the man file
>>> for it?
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>> /etc/resolv.conf
>>> domain lan.example.com.
>>> search lan.example.com.
>>> nameserver 192.168.1.2
>>> options timeout:1
>>>
>>> But what would the syntax be?  Like I've tried, above?  Are there any
>>> samples in your man file?
>
> Rick Stevens:
>> That's the right syntax, but since you only have one name server
>> specified the timeout would be essentially ignored.
>
> When tried on my actual settings, which did have two nameservers, it
> didn't appear to change anything.  Well, not to the dig or nslookup
> commands.

It may have to be above the nameserver specifications:

	domain blah
	search blah
	options attempts:1 timeout:2
	nameserver blah
	nameserver blah

In other words, it may only take effect from the time it's seen in
the file. If you put it at the end, it has no effect. Not sure about
that, but give it a whirl.