System fonts are all messed up ????

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Nov 13 19:04:09 UTC 2012

Steve <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/10/2012 10:11 AM, Steve wrote:
>> F16 install, KDE, fully up to date.
>>
>> Did an upgrade to F17 via the F17 DVD.
>>
>> Now all the system fonts are messed up, size wise.  All of them are
>> way too large.
>>
>> On the session login screen, for example, the font size in the
>> Username and Password fields are so big that the letters overflow
>> the height of the box.
>>
>> This problem exists everywhere in the session where system fonts are
>> used.
>>
>> Application fonts seem to be fine and are easily adjusted with
>> KDE->System Settings-> Application Appearance -> Fonts.
>>
>> I cannot figure out where to adjust the size of the system fonts.
>>
>> I have half a dozen Linux systems running F17, all upgraded via the
>> DVD and this is the only one with this problem.
>>
>> What do I do to fix this issue ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
> Does anyone have ANY ideas on this issue ?

Not really, only I've seen today that there is /etc/X11/Xresources which
has some entries towards font sizes:

,----
| ! This is the global resources file that is loaded when
| ! all users log in, as well as for the login screen
|
| ! Fix the Xft dpi to 96; this prevents tiny fonts
| ! or HUGE fonts depending on the screen size.
| ! Xft.dpi: 96
|
| ! hintstyle: medium means that (for Postscript fonts) we
| ! position the stems for maximum constrast and consistency
| ! but do not force the stems to integral widths. hintnone,
| ! hintslight, and hintfull are the other possibilities.
| ! Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
| ! Xft.hinting: true
`----

I commented them out because I'm using fontconfig settings and the X
server seems to figure out the DPI correctly by default.  I haven't
tested yet what difference it makes.  Anyway, the DPI setting might make
a difference for you.

--
Fedora 17