UPS monitoring software and APC and Tripp lite UPSs

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:06:38 UTC 2012

Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Robert Moskowitz
> <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>     Well my APC smart1400 has died, shorted battery.  So I am in the
>     market for a new unit.
>

> And replacing the battery is impossible because?

I was about to suggest a replacement battery too.  The problem is those
old APC units used weird batteries and the replacement cost of that
battery is ~$150.  It is cheaper to just get a more modern unit that
uses 2x $25 replacement batteries.  The difference between a USB unit
and a serial unit is significant.  The serial control is very limited
and a controlled automatic shutdown with an automatic reboot is
problematic.  I used to have a serial unit and unattended use was
problematic.

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about