NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Nov 14 19:11:52 UTC 2012

On 14/11/12 13:05, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> It's better to disable networkmanager then.  It seems to be more a tool
>> for ever changing connections used with dhcp.  In a fixed setup, you
>> don't need it, and disabling it saves you the process constantly
>> running.
>>
>> Other than that, you could change the "NM_CONTROLLED=yes" entry to
>> "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in the ifcfg-* files for your interfaces. That
>> /should/ stop networkmanager from overwriting resolv.conf ... somehow I
>> have doubts that it actually would without further ado.
>
> Actually, I think you can do "PEERDNS=no" in the /etc/sysconfig/network
> file prevent overwriting the resolv.conf file. If you do that, then
> remove any "PEERDNS" lines from the ifcfg-* files (or they'll override
> the setting when they're invoked).

    Before changing the immutable bit I was getting

        [bobg at box7 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
                    # Generated by NetworkManager

                    # No nameservers found; try putting DNS servers into
        your
                    # ifcfg files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts like
        so:
                    #
                    # DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                    # DNS2=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                    # DOMAIN=lab.foo.com bar.foo.com

                With PEERDNS=no

    Since setting chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf I can set PEERDNS=no  and
    it holds through NM stop/start via the desktop icon menu.

        [root at box7 bobg]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
        # Generated by NetworkManager
        options timeout:1 attempts:1
        nameserver 127.0.0.1
        nameserver 192.168.1.1

    So setting PEERDNS=no alone is not enough. Certainly what I've done
    is the simplest, if it works, and so far it looks like it does. I
    didn't know how to put the options into
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. Perhaps that's what should be done?
    I am open to advice ...

    Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD