NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:39:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 21:19 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 11/14/2012 03:11 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> >   I am open to advice ...
>
> You need to specify these in /etc/sysconfig-network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> (or your interface):
>
> DNS1="xx.xx.xx.xx"
> DNS2="xx.xx.xx.xx"
> SEARCH="yourdomain.com"
>
> Then you'll see them in /etc/resolv.conf once you restart the network
> service. (make sure you have  BOOTPROTO=NONE)

Aren't these options all settable from NetworkManager? Select Network
Settings, then the interface, then Options, then IPv4 Settings, then the
appropriate Method, then fill in other settings as needed.  You can set
or add DNS servers and search domains there.

The DHCP method gets resolv.conf contents from the DHCP server, but you
can add DNS entries and search domains.  The DHCP (Addresses Only)
method doesn't take the server's DNS or search specs, but you can set
them manually.  The Manual method allows setting the IP parameters as
well.  There's a checkbox to share the settings with all users.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences