Can't change resolution in VNC on F17

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Nov 15 15:20:55 UTC 2012

Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> writes:

> On 11/12/2012 05:17 AM, lee wrote:
>> Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> writes:
>>
>>> Howdy -
>>>
>>> Following the instructions at
>>> http://zeusville.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/setting-up-vncserver-on-fedora-16/,
>>> I changed my /usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service file so it looks
>>> like:
>>>
>>> [Unit]
>>> Description=Remote desktop service (VNC)
>>> After=syslog.target network.target
>>>
>>> [Service]
>>> Type=forking
>>> ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/vncserver -kill %i > /dev/null 2>&1 || :'
>>> ExecStart=/sbin/runuser -l tcameron -c "/usr/bin/vncserver %i -geometry
>>> 1024x768"
>>> ExecStop=/sbin/runuser -l tcameron -c "/usr/bin/vncserver -kill %i"
>>>
>>> [Install]
>>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>>
>>> But no matter what I do, the resolution seems to be stuck at the native
>>> resolution of the laptop I'm connecting to, 1600x900.
>>>
>>> How the heck do I change the resolution to something else?
>>
>> You probably need to change the resolution on the host you are
>> connecting to, not on the client.
>
> That's exactly what I said: "But no matter what I do, the resolution
> seems to be stuck at the native resolution of the laptop I'm connecting
> to, 1600x900." Note that I said the laptop I'm connecting *to* - not the
> one I'm connecting from.
>
>> You don't need a vnc server on the client. Just install tigervnc and run
>> 'vncviewer' on the client to connect to the server on the laptop.
>
> Yeah, I get that. As I said, the configuration file I modified above is
> the one on the system to which I am connecting - the vnc server, if you
> will.

You didn't say that.  Are you sure the '%i' option works right?

http://www.tightvnc.com/vncserver.1.php says vncserver runs Xvnc, and
the manpage of Xvnc says that the geometry option specifies the size of
the virtual display to be created by Xvnc, with 1024x768 being the
default size. So that should just work.

It leaves the question of how to connect to an already running "real"
X-session with a vnc client, though, which might be what are trying to
do.  In that case, you already have a given screen size which you cannot
simply shrink to a smaller size, and it might work if you start the
X-session on the sever with the desired resolution instead of the native
resolution of its display device.

Perhaps you need options in xorg.conf, as the manpage of Xvnc says:

,----
`----

--
Fedora 17