Multiple default routes, same subnet

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Nov 16 05:36:38 UTC 2012

Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two internet links, from different ISPs for my office network, each one
> with it's own router (which is a linux PC) so I don't loose internet
> connectivity easily. One ISP has a much higher bandwitch, so usually all my
> computers use it as the default gateway. The other one is intended as a
> contingency link.
>
> Today I have to manually change the default gateway on all computers when the
> main link goes down. I want an automated way to do this.

I went another way on that, but it seems to me the solution is to just set the
metric to the route you want most of the time lower that the "fallback" routeer.
Define a route to each router, then set the default routes. Actually I think the
order won't mater. If you use "ip route" the "peer" option might be useful, I
haven't done this in a while!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>